Friday, September 16, 2005

Musafir*: Highlights

Have just finished the movie Musafir. It was panned by reviewers, but I quite liked it - entertaining, flashy and young. Reviewers tend to have a humourless, unimaginative, and rather wholesome taste. For them the movie must have a message. I will settle for a massage.
Here are some highlights:

1. Great songs! Krishna's haunting rendition of Rabba, and Sukhwinder Singh's devil-may-care Saaki** are perfect to lift the cloud that haunts Cambridge. Great for cars. When I took Jahnavi*** to Scotland, she liked them so much that I had to listen to these two songs six hours straight. Almost drove me out of my mind, and my car off the hill.

2. Anil Kapoor - long time no see. Rather well preserved for his age. Wonder what his diet his.

3. Sanjay Dutt - Wacko as usual. The scene where the sight of him causes a lame Shakti Kapoor to suddenly "find" his legs is priceless.

4. Aditya Panscholi - nice to see him back. Looking good with a bald pate. I always kind of liked him, but he got run over by the chocolate brigade.

5. This movie confirms my earlier suspicion that there is a short supply of talented baggage in the acting arena. Here too, a high flying suitcase busts its guts causing money to fly into water, followed closely by a sea of humanity diving in, in pursuit of quick riches, and then probably copping it with cholera. Anyway, if the suitcase had had any inch of artistic integrity, it would have maintained its silence, and poor Anil Kapoor would not have had such a rough ride. The movie would have been over by the interval, and I might have got some work done. I really think the Film industry should incorporate stricter quality control over aspiring character actors posing as pieces of luggage. I am sure with due diligence they will find a suitcase worthy of its casing, willing to preserve its contents in the face of adversity.

6. Paeans can probably be sung about the sylphs populating this film , but it would be wise to stick to short sentences of words of few syllables. Their dialogue delivery left me in doubt about their capacity to manufacture coherent sentences, so absorption of the poetic medium may be rather slow, if at all it took place.

*Musafir = Traveller.
**Saaki = Beloved (I think)
***Jahnavi, my sister. Nine years my junior, light years ahead in most other things.
Jahnavi = Ganga, Ganges.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

saaki one who offers wine. not beloved.
in omar khayyam the one metaphorically who shows the way
those who show the way: are they ever beloved?

10:15 AM  
Blogger i said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:01 AM  
Blogger i said...

Point taken. But, because I like to argue sometimes, when you is thoisty, the chick who bears the wine, while baring all at the same time, sure as heck is beloved.

Peace, my friend.

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home