Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The poor tabla

Just back from listening to the Violin maestro N. Rajam. There is little I can say by way of words to describe the concert, mostly because I can't thumb a dictionary that obtuse. So, mostly I sat there with my fingers in my hair trying to ape the man whose emotions were being wrenched out by violin(ce). I fell asleep. But, just before I did, I had an epiphany. I realized that most of these classical dos are just a mask. A front behind which these classical gurus go about their nefarious purpose, of putting the tabla* and the tabla player down. You see, the tabla is not a classical instrument, because of the limited range of sound that it can produce. And just so that the audience too realizes this and has a good laugh at the tabalchi's** expense, no classical concert is deemed worth its higher notes, if it doesn't have a jugalbandi***. A musical duel in which there can be only one winner. Just as soon as the classical instrument moves out of the tabla's range, the tabalchi is required to appear sheepish and prostrate him/her self at the classical khan's foot. And probably bust his drums too, I suppose.
------

A place in my country
By my likeness surrounded,
I should be happy.
For isin't this home?
But, this music, my music, is so far away.
Unreachable.
Even if I died.
Or cried, dry-eyed.
I just want to crawl afar.
And not see a soul.
Ever.
(Thankfully, I have forgotten my spade).
-----------

*Tabla: Indian drums.
**Tabalchi: Indian drummer.
***Jugalbandi: Think of the banjo vs the guitar. The duel.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyable as ever!

11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One needs to have a comprehensive understanding of Tabla and the wide range of its beats before calling it a "non-classical" instrument or underestimating the impact on audience.
I appreciate the blog technically though.

7:04 AM  
Blogger i said...

The tabla is non-classical in this sense: It cannot provide the range of the human voice. An instrument is deemed classical only if it is able to imitate the human voice.

Don't mess with me, or I will sneeze on you.

Of course, I may be wrong, but then again, I am the one with the common cold.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every human voice has a heart beat in backdrop.. so is the case with music!
And common cold is not that uncommon for me.

Achhiiiii!!

10:50 AM  
Blogger i said...

Yes, so that makes tabla necessary, but non-classical.

I am right, you are wrong. Kanpur in the house.

If you question me anymore your fate will be that of that pesky boy in the second row. I threw my Kleenex at him for asking me a troublesome question.

He is still bathing.

11:56 AM  
Blogger i said...

To the first anonymous: Thank you, kind Sir. Though I am slightly miffed that I am only noted to be "as enjoyable as ever". I thought with the amount of sammy boys I have been tucking away, I would have become tastier.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Abey Ishan, agar tum apney sarey commentors ki aise hi watt lagatey rahey, woh sab bhag jainge aur tumhara blog koi nahin padhega :-)

5:03 AM  
Blogger Abhinav Nigam said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Abhinav Nigam said...

Didn't enjoy this tabla post. Try listening to Allah Rakha & Ravi Shankar in 'duel'. They both compliment each other perfectly. Perhaps the tabalchi may not have been upto the level of Rajam or your ears :-)

I think one needs to have a knowledge about beats and counts to comment on any percussion instrument.

Bob Dylan is Zimmie

7:36 PM  
Blogger i said...

Dear MC -

It is a catch 22 situation. How would this blog be my blog if I didn't jest and joust (at someone's expense).

Dear AN -

A fine point: Allah Rakha has copped it, Ravi Shankar is still kicking it arouund. Guess who won the (Earthly) duel?

Who is Bob Dylan, and whis is he Zimmie? What is a Zimmie?

So many questions, so little sleep.

3:51 AM  
Blogger Abhinav Nigam said...

Both are winners in a musical 'duel'. Though its unkind of you to use duel for jugalbandi.

Your humour reminds me of Touchstone.

you better sleep now...

3:03 PM  
Blogger i said...

What is a touchstone? Everything I touch turns to stone. Inculding stones. I never touch Gold.

4:39 AM  
Blogger i said...

Ok, I shall take Touchstone as a compliment. That is the nearest I shall get to Shakespeare.

But, considering that he was from an age that bathed only annually, I don't know if I would care to get any closer.

5:05 AM  
Blogger Abhinav Nigam said...

Yes, that too Cawnpore's heat...

7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home