Tuesday, October 19, 2004

As one moves around in the world the homily "Anything you can do, someone can do much, much better" hits home. Take running. I though I was adequate; not great, but adequate. After all 4.5 mi in 32 minutes is nothing to sneeze at. After coming 25th in a field of 25 with several girls ahead of me, one sees the astonishin lack of self appraisal. The club is Cambridge Hare and Hounds. Great club. Google CUHH and find out. These guys do 3mi in 15 minutes. Shit.

Obviously the same is true in Mechanics. There are people out there who have more mechanics in their little fingers that I could ever imagine. I am just hope that most of them are otherwise occupied.

One thing you do notice in the UK is that people are so much better dressed. Incredible, when you think that Cambridge is a university town and academics are paid much less than their counterparts in the US. I was going to get twice the amount if I had accepted the offer from JPL. But despite this American's dress like tramps who don't care too much about their public image.

The roads here are very narrow. The buses are just as big. Sometime even bigger (double deckers). They are driven at high speeds relative to the amount of space available for navigation. All this makes cyclists like me rather nervous. Buses habitually pass within half a foot of my cycle. At these moments one can just be thankful of having grown up in an Indian ethos, where one is required to do what one has to do and then whatevere has to happen, will happen.

Oh well, written too much for today. Whether or not wisdom is gained with age, verbosity certainly is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home